137 Bourke Street, Goulburn NSW 2580
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to the range of dental treatments which restore or improve the appearance of a person’s teeth, gums, bite or smile. Many dental treatments fall into this category, including:
- teeth whitening
- tooth-coloured fillings
- porcelain bridges or crowns
- dental veneers
- dental implants
- gum lifts
When is cosmetic dentistry used?
Cosmetic dentistry can assist any person wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth, gums, bite or smile. It is commonly used in cases of:
- discoloured or stained teeth
- chipped or misshapen teeth
- crooked teeth
- missing teeth
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them
What are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry?
The main benefit of cosmetic dentistry is the creation or restoration of an aesthetically pleasing smile.
There are other social and health benefits associated with cosmetic dentistry, including:
- an improved psychological outlook and higher self-esteem from the reversal of dental problems that were previously a source of embarrassment
- better oral health because straight teeth are easier to clean and decay is easier to spot on white teeth
- where missing teeth have been replaced, the prevention of teeth drifting within the mouth and excessive wear and tear on surrounding teeth, both of which can lead to the need for costly dental treatment in the future
- additional strength and protection against decay in cases where dental crowns have been fitted
The state of a person’s oral health determines their suitability for cosmetic dentistry. Not all cosmetic dental treatments are appropriate for every person. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for cosmetic dentistry.